Thursday, January 28, 2010

Highspeed Folklore



Last summer I fell in love with Linda Valkeman's diverse and varied collection with its many designs, which reflected her chaotic personality. Each look in that collection had a name that illustrated the different sides of chaos, 'I like to make a statement', 'I like to be baloonesk', 'I like to be a white swan', are examples of such.
Linda mentions finding structure in the beauty of chaos in her collections, and this season's designs were surprisingly cohesive in contrast to her previous work. Linda's palette was pale and fragile, with intricate detailing and an enormous array of used materials. As a 'traveller of the world' her nomadic lifestyle was a main influence for this collection.
Linda: "I am fascinated by the timelessness of the things I collect. As very different worlds collide in my designs, the search for the clash is crucial."
I found 'Highspeed Folklore' to be slightly less wearable than her graduation collection, which was presented last season at Fashion Institute Arnhem's show, but where it lacked in commerciality it made up for in amazing detail, with stunning handwork and amazing material-usage.



WRITTEN BY
HOLLY SYRETT
PHOTOGRAPHY CHELSEA SYRETT

No comments:

Post a Comment